Xanax XR Side Effects
While most people do not have any problems when taking Xanax XR, side effects are possible. Common ones include drowsiness, memory problems, and fatigue. In many cases, these side effects of Xanax XR are minor and easily treated. However, you should seek immediate medical attention if you develop more serious side effects, such as hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, or difficulty breathing.
An Introduction to Xanax XR Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Xanax XR® (alprazolam XR). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Xanax XR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Xanax XR side effects with you.)
Common Xanax XR Side EffectsXanax XR has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Xanax XR included:
- A sleepy or calming effect (known medically as sedation) -- in up to 45.2 percent of people
- Drowsiness -- up to 23 percent
- Memory problems -- up to 15.4 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 13.9 percent.
Other common Xanax XR side effects, occurring in 1 to 12 percent of people, included:
- Speech problems
- Coordination problems
- Mental slowing
- Problems concentrating
- Loss of balance
- Unusual sensations, such as numbness, burning, or tingling
- A decreased sex drive or other sexual problems (see Xanax XR Sexual Side Effects)
- Confusion or disorientation
- Changes in appetite
- Dry mouth
- Throat pain
- Weight loss or weight gain (see Xanax XR and Weight Gain)
- Menstrual changes
- Joint pain or muscle pain
- Hot flashes
- Nasal allergies.