Xanax XR Dosage
When determining your dose of Xanax XR, your healthcare provider will consider several factors, such as your age, other medications you are taking, and other medical conditions you may have. Typically, the recommended starting dose is 0.5 mg to 1 mg, taken once daily in the morning. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your Xanax XR dosage in order to control your symptoms.
Xanax XR Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Xanax XR® (alprazolam XR) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Your age.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Xanax XR dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Xanax XR Dosage for Panic DisorderThe recommended starting dose of Xanax XR for treating panic disorder is Xanax XR 0.5 mg to 1 mg, taken once daily in the morning. Your healthcare provider may slowly increase your dose, if necessary, to control your symptoms. Often, people do not see a significant improvement in their symptoms until they reach a dose of Xanax XR 3 mg to 6 mg once daily.
Elderly people (as well as people with serious medical problems) may be more sensitive to the effects of Xanax XR. They should be started at the lowest possible dose (Xanax XR 0.5 mg once daily).
General Information on Dosing With Xanax XRConsiderations for people taking Xanax XR include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once daily in the morning.
- Xanax XR can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Because Xanax XR tablets are extended-release, they should not be crushed, broken, or chewed. Be sure to swallow the tablets whole.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Xanax XR may cause serious problems if you take it at higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends (see Xanax Addiction).