Seek immediate medical treatment if you believe you have received too much Vivitrol (naltrexone injection). An overdose of this medicine can cause problems such as vomiting, seizures, and difficulty breathing. Treatment may involve providing supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur.
Vivitrol® (naltrexone injection) is a prescription medication used to treat addiction to narcotic drugs or alcohol. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Vivitrol.
The specific effects of a Vivitrol overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Vivitrol dosage and whether it was used in combination with any other medications or street drugs.
There is limited information available on the effects of using too much Vivitrol. Doses of up to 784 mg (more than twice the recommended dose) did not appear to cause any serious problems in one small study.
However, high doses of the active ingredient in Vivitrol (naltrexone) have been reported to cause liver damage. Naltrexone has also caused death when given in high doses in animal studies.
Based on the available information, possible effects of a Vivitrol overdose may include:
- Reactions at the site of the injection, such as tenderness, pain, swelling, and bruising
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Fast heart rate (tachycardia)
- Decreased activity
- Problems breathing.
Treatment will most likely involve close monitoring and supportive care. Supportive care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of an overdose. For example, medications may be given to treat nausea, vomiting, and agitation if they occur.
It is important to seek immediate medical attention if you believe that you or someone else may have used too much of this medication.