Saffron Side Effects
Although it is a "natural" product, side effects of saffron are possible. In most cases, side effects are merely bothersome and not serious. Such side effects include nausea, drowsiness, and a change in appetite. However, some saffron side effects should be reported to your healthcare provider, such as signs of saffron poisoning, miscarriages, or signs of an allergic reaction.
Saffron Side Effects: An OverviewAs with any medication or herbal supplement, side effects are possible with saffron. Although some people assume that natural products (such as saffron) are automatically free of side effects, this is simply not the case. Remember, many poisons and toxins are natural products. In most cases, side effects of saffron are merely bothersome, although some can be serious.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with saffron. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of saffron side effects with you.)
Bothersome Saffron Side EffectsPossibly bothersome (although not usually serious) saffron side effects may include:
- An increase or decrease in appetite
Saffron Side Effects to ReportSome side effects with saffron, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Unusual behavior, such as:
- Elated mood
- Rapid speaking
- Uncontrollable spending
- Signs of saffron poisoning (a saffron overdose), such as:
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Bloody diarrhea
- Blood in the urine
- Bleeding, such as nosebleeds
- Severe dizziness, confusion, or drowsiness
- Worsening of asthma
- Miscarriages (see Saffron and Pregnancy)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.