Side EffectsMany people believe that natural products, such as saffron, do not have side effects. However, many natural products cause side effects, some of which can be quite serious. Saffron can cause side effects such as:
- Appetite changes
- Nausea and vomiting.
(Click Saffron Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)
Drug InteractionsIt is not known if saffron interacts with other supplements or medications (see Saffron Drug Interactions).
Is Saffron Safe?A normal use of it in food is safe for most people. It is less clear if medicinal uses of saffron are equally as safe. Some people are more likely to experience problems than others. You should talk with your healthcare provider before taking it if you have:
- Bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression)
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Saffron and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Saffron and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Saffron Safety for more information, including any available warnings and precautions.)