Whether you are consuming saffron through dietary means or in supplements, it is possible to take too much. The effects of a saffron overdose will vary, depending on how much was consumed and other factors. Symptoms may include vomiting, blood in the urine, and jaundice. In the case of a saffron overdose, treatment will likely involve treating symptoms that occur as a result.
Saffron Overdose: An OverviewAlthough typically used as a spice, saffron is sometimes used medicinally as an herbal supplement. Either way, it is possible to take too much saffron. The effects of a saffron overdose will vary, depending on the saffron dosage and other factors.
Symptoms of a Saffron OverdoseEven though saffron is a natural substance, it may be possible to take too much of it. Taking too much may result in any of the usual saffron side effects, such as:
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Bloody diarrhea
- Blood in the urine
- Bleeding, such as nosebleeds
- Loss of life.
These saffron overdose symptoms are seen at doses in excess of 5 grams.
Treatment for a Saffron OverdoseIt is not known how best to treat a saffron overdose. If the overdose was recent, your healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment (if necessary) will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you may have overdosed on saffron.