Paliperidone Side Effects
A few common paliperidone side effects include drowsiness, headaches, and a rapid heart rate. Less common side effects of this medicine (occurring in less than 5 percent of people) can include fatigue, shakiness, and dry mouth. Certain side effects of paliperidone are more serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider. These more serious side effects can include large or rapid weight gain, anxiety, and very severe constipation.
An Introduction to Paliperidone Side Effects
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with paliperidone (Invega®). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate paliperidone well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with paliperidone. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of paliperidone side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects With Paliperidone
Paliperidone has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common paliperidone side effects included:
- Drowsiness -- in up to 26 percent of people
- Extrapyramidal symptoms (see the "Paliperidone Side Effects to Report" section that follows for more information) -- up to 23 percent
- Headaches -- up to 15 percent
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia) -- up to 14 percent
- Weight gain -- up to 13 percent (see Invega and Weight Gain)
- Drowsiness -- up to 12 percent
- Skin reactions at the injection site (for the injectable form) -- up to 10 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 9 percent
- Nausea -- up to 8 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 6 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 6 percent
- Increased saliva production -- up to 6 percent
- Absent menstrual periods -- up to 6 percent.
Some other common paliperidone side effects (occurring in 2 percent to 5 percent of people) included:
- Muscle tension or pain
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Dry mouth (see Invega and Dry Mouth)
- Blurred vision
- A fever
- Sore throat and runny or stuffy nose
- Upper respiratory tract infection (such as the common cold)
- Appetite changes (both increased and decreased)
- Sleep problems
- Back pain
- Swollen tongue or tongue paralysis
- General weakness
- Leaky breasts
- Unexplained breast enlargement.