What Conditions Can Methadone Treat?
) is a prescription narcotic. The three main types of treatments for methadone include:
- Detoxification treatment ("detox") from heroin or other morphine-like drugs
- Maintenance treatment of addiction to heroin or other morphine-like drugs (long-term treatment in order to reduce usage of heroin or other drugs)
- Treatment of moderate-to-severe pain.
Benefits of Maintenance Methadone Treatment
Maintenance methadone treatment (MMT) has several demonstrated benefits, such as:
- Reduced or stopped use of injection drugs
- Reduced risk of overdose
- Lower risk of transmitting various diseases like HIV, hepatitis, tuberculosis, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Lower risk of death
- Possible decrease in risky sexual behaviors (although research is conflicting at this point)
- Less criminal activity
- Improved family relationships
- Increased ability to be employed
- Fewer pregnancy problems for both the mother and the fetus.
In addition, methadone maintenance treatment is cost-effective and is generally considered the most effective method of treating opioid addiction.