Mental Health Home > Vivactil and Dry Mouth
Several side effects may occur with the use of Vivactil, and dry mouth appears to be one of the most common. Things that you can do to help provide relief include avoiding tobacco or alcohol, sipping water or sugarless drinks often, and avoiding caffeine. If you are taking Vivactil and dry mouth continues to be a problem, your healthcare provider may recommend artificial saliva or a different antidepressant.
Dry mouth is one of the common side effects of Vivactil® (protriptyline hydrochloride), although the exact percentage was not reported. In fact, dry mouth is a common symptom of all tricyclic antidepressants (including Vivactil).
For people taking Vivactil, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol. They dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
If you develop a dry mouth while taking Vivactil and the suggestions in this article do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. He or she may be able to recommend treatments, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on how severe your dry mouth is, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Vivactil dosage or try another depression medicine.