Mental Health Home > Vilazodone Dosage
Vilazodone comes in the form of a tablet that is taken by mouth once a day. The dosing guidelines call for vilazodone to be started at a low amount, such as 10 mg a day. Based on how you respond to the medication, your healthcare provider may gradually increase the amount until an ideal dosage is reached.
An Introduction to Dosing With VilazodoneThe dose of vilazodone (Viibryd™) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to this medication
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Vilazodone Dosage for Depression?The usual dose of vilazodone for treating major depression is 40 mg once daily. It is recommended that people start vilazodone at 10 mg once daily for the first seven days. The dose may then be increased to 20 mg once daily for seven additional days, and then to 40 mg once daily.
Your healthcare provider will monitor your symptoms and determine how long you should continue this medication. Most people will need it for several months (or longer) to treat an episode of depression. If there is a high risk that your depression will return, your healthcare provider may recommend long-term maintenance treatment.
The goal of maintenance treatment is to prevent depression from recurring. Some people may need maintenance treatment for several years, or even their entire lives. The vilazodone dosage your healthcare provider recommends for maintenance treatment may be different from the amount you took to treat your depression episode.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with vilazodone include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- Your dose of vilazodone should be taken with food. It may not work as well if taken on an empty stomach.
- This medication can be taken in the morning or the evening. If it makes you drowsy, try taking it at night. If it keeps you awake, take it in the morning.
- Try to take this medication at the same time each day to keep an even level in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with vilazodone, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.