Mental Health Home > Side Effects of the Selegiline Transdermal Patch
Some common side effects of the selegiline transdermal patch include skin reactions at the application site, headaches, and weight loss. In many cases, side effects of the selegiline transdermal patch are minor and can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, there are also a number of serious side effects that can occur during treatment with the selegiline transdermal patch (such as hallucinations and suicidal thoughts). If you experience any of these more serious side effects, let your healthcare provider know.
An Introduction to Side Effects of the Selegiline Transdermal PatchAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with the selegiline transdermal patch (Emsam®). However, not everyone who takes the selegiline transdermal patch will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When people do develop side effects, in many cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with the selegiline transdermal patch. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of the Selegiline Transdermal PatchThe selegiline transdermal patch has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of the selegiline transdermal patch included:
- Skin reactions at the application site -- in up to 24 percent of people
- Headaches -- up to 18 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 12 percent (see Trouble Sleeping With Emsam)
- Diarrhea -- up to 9 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 8 percent (see Emsam and Dry Mouth)
- Weight loss -- up to 5 percent (see Emsam and Weight Loss)
- Heartburn -- up to 4 percent
- A sore throat -- up to 3 percent
- Sinus infections or irritation -- up to 3 percent
- Abnormal ejaculations -- up to 1 percent of men (see Emsam Sexual Side Effects).
Some other frequent side effects that were reported in people taking the selegiline transdermal patch (but were not necessarily caused by the patch) included:
- A loss of appetite
- Fluid retention in the arms, legs, feet, or hands
- Muscle pain
- Memory loss (amnesia)
- Broken bones
- Unusual sensations, such as tingling or burning (paresthesias)
- Taste changes
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Urinary tract infections (bladder infections)
- Frequent urination
- Menstrual problems in women.