Mental Health Home > Prolixin Dosage
For people who are taking Prolixin orally, the starting dose ranges from 2.5 mg to 10 mg per day (split up into smaller doses). Your healthcare provider may increase your Prolixin dosage, if necessary, to control your symptoms. For those taking the injections, the dosage will depend on many factors. Usually, the short-acting Prolixin dosages are injected several times a day, while the long-acting version is given once a month.
An Introduction to Prolixin DosageThe dose of Prolixin® (fluphenazine) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your condition
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
Oral Prolixin DosingThe recommended starting dose of Prolixin is Prolixin 2.5 mg to 10 mg total per day (split up into two or three smaller doses per day). Your healthcare provider may increase your dose as necessary to control your symptoms, or may attempt to decrease your dose once your symptoms are under control. For elderly people, the starting dose is lower: Prolixin 1 mg to 2.5 mg total per day.
Injectable Prolixin DosingThe dose of injectable Prolixin can vary greatly from person to person, depending on many different factors. The short-acting form is given several times a day (usually used temporarily to control very severe symptoms), while the long-acting injectable form is given less frequently, often just once a month.
General Prolixin Dosage InformationConsiderations for people taking Prolixin include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth two or three times a day.
- You can take Prolixin with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- A liquid form of Prolixin is available for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- Prolixin is also available in injectable forms, including a short-acting form (given several times per day) and a long-acting form (given just once a month).
- The medication should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For Prolixin to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Prolixin dosing in general, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Prolixin Withdrawal).