Mental Health Home > Precautions and Warnings With Paroxetine Mesylate
Tell your healthcare provider if you have kidney disease, glaucoma, or any allergies before taking paroxetine mesylate. Other warnings and precautions include being aware that the medication should not be used for bipolar disorder, a condition that often causes symptoms similar to those seen with depression. It's also important to let your healthcare provider know if you are pregnant, thinking of becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking paroxetine mesylate (Pexeva®) if you have:
- Been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, or have a family member with this condition
- A history of suicide attempts, or currently have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself
- Ever had a seizure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- A recent heart attack or unstable heart disease
- Low blood sodium (hyponatremia)
- Any bleeding problems, including recent stomach bleeding
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant