Mental Health Home > Precautions and Warnings With Nicotine Patch
People who have problems with their heart, kidneys, or liver may not be able to safely use the nicotine patch. Other precautions include warnings of potential complications this drug may cause, such as a fast heart rate and high blood pressure. Also, you should not use these patches if you have certain allergies.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Using the Nicotine Patch?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using the nicotine patch (Nicoderm® CQ®) if you have:
- Heart problems, including heart disease, chest pain (angina), or an irregular heartbeat (heart arrhythmia)
- Had a recent heart attack
- High blood pressure
- An overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- A tumor of the adrenal gland
- Skin problems or skin sensitivities
- An ulcer in the stomach or upper intestines (peptic ulcer)
- Blood vessel problems, such as Buerger's disease or Raynaud's phenomenon
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant