Mental Health Home > Precautions and Warnings With Methamphetamine
Before taking methamphetamine, it's important to be aware of various precautions and warnings. With methamphetamine, the drug's addictive nature is a particular concern -- never increase your dosage without the approval of your healthcare provider. Other precautions and warnings to be aware of with methamphetamine concern taking it with medications belonging to a class of drugs known as MAOIs -- you should not take methamphetamine if you've taken an MAOI within the past two weeks.
- Heart problems of any kind, including heart disease, congestive heart failure, certain irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or a recent heart attack
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Tourette syndrome
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Glaucoma (a condition of the eye)
- A history of drug abuse or alcohol abuse
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.