Mental Health Home > What Is Methadone Used For?
Methadone is only approved for use in adults, and is prescribed for several conditions, such as the treatment of moderate-to-severe pain and maintenance treatment of addiction to heroin. Because it is a controlled substance, methadone use is strictly regulated. This opioid, narcotic medication can only be prescribed by an authorized healthcare provider for pain relief and only by an authorized clinic for addiction treatment.
Uses of Methadone: An OverviewMethadone hydrochloride (Diskets®, Dolophine®, Methadose®) is a prescription medication approved for the following uses:
- Treatment of moderate-to-severe pain
- Detoxification treatment ("detox") from heroin or other morphine-like drugs
- Maintenance treatment of addiction to heroin or other morphine-like drugs (long-term treatment in order to reduce usage of heroin).
- Methadone 5 mg and 10 mg tablets
- Methadone 5 mg per 5 mL and 10 mg per 5 mL oral solution.
- Methadone 40 mg dispersible tablets
- Methadone 10 mg per mL oral concentrate
- Methadone bulk powder (used by pharmacists or other healthcare providers to mix a methadone oral liquid).