Mental Health Home > Generic Methadone
Methadone is often prescribed for the treatment of pain and addiction to opiates. Because all of the patents have expired, generic versions of the medication are available. There are several strengths and forms, including tablets, dispersible tablets, an oral solution, and injections. Several manufacturers make generic methadone, including Roxane Laboratories, Sandoz, and Mallinckrodt, Inc.
Is a Generic Version of Methadone Available?Methadone hydrochloride (Diskets®, Dolophine®, Methadose®) is a prescription opioid medication. It is approved for treating pain and for opioid addiction treatment.
- Methadone 5 mg and 10 mg tablets
- Methadone 40 mg dispersible tablets (for use only for addiction treatment, not for pain)
- Methadone 5 mg per 5 mL and 10 mg per 5 mL oral solution
- Methadone 10 mg per mL oral concentrate (for use only for addiction treatment, not for pain)
- Methadone 10 mg per mL injection.
Who Makes Generic Methadone?Several different manufactures make a generic version of methadone, including (but not limited to):
- Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
- Mallinckrodt, Inc.
- Xanodyne Pharmaceuticals, Inc.