Mental Health Home > Mellaril Dosage
For those who are first beginning schizophrenia treatment with Mellaril, dosage recommendations usually start at 50 mg to 100 mg three times a day. If needed, your healthcare provider can gradually increase your daily dose up to 800 mg per day. Make sure to take your Mellaril dose at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the medicine in your blood.
The dose of Mellaril® (thioridazine) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your schizophrenia
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your Mellaril dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Mellaril Dosing for Schizophrenia
The recommended starting Mellaril dose for schizophrenia is 50 mg to 100 mg three times daily. Your healthcare provider may gradually increase your dose as necessary, up to a maximum of Mellaril 800 mg total per day.
Some considerations for people taking Mellaril include:
- Mellaril comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth two to four times a day.
- It does not matter if you take the medication with or without food. If Mellaril bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Mellaril should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Mellaril will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Mellaril dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Mellaril without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Mellaril Withdrawal).