Mental Health Home > Marplan and Dry Mouth
There are several side effects of Marplan, and dry mouth is one of the common side effects of the medication. Clinical studies have shown that up to 9 percent of people taking Marplan reported a dry mouth. If you are taking Marplan and dry mouth occurs, try drinking water more frequently, using a humidifier at night, and avoiding caffeinated beverages.
Marplan and Dry Mouth: An OverviewDry mouth is one of the common side effects of Marplan® (isocarboxazid). Clinical studies have shown that up to 9 percent of people taking Marplan reported experiencing a dry mouth, compared to just 4 percent of those not taking Marplan.
Marplan and Dry Mouth: RecommendationsFor people taking Marplan, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.