Mental Health Home > Side Effects of Maprotiline
Some of the most commonly reported side effects of maprotiline include constipation, drowsiness, fatigue, and dry mouth. While most side effects of this drug do not require medical attention, there are some maprotiline side effects that should be reported to a healthcare provider right away, such as hallucinations, anxiety, and difficulty breathing.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with maprotiline hydrochloride (Ludiomil®). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. When people do develop maprotiline side effects, in many cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with maprotiline. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of maprotiline side effects with you.)
Maprotiline has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, common side effects of maprotiline included:
- Dry mouth -- in up to 22 percent of people (see Maprotiline and Dry Mouth)
- Drowsiness -- up to 16 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 8 percent
- Nervousness -- up to 6 percent
- Constipation -- up to 6 percent
- Blurred vision -- up to 4 percent
- Weakness and fatigue -- up to 4 percent
- Headache -- up to 4 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 3 percent
- Shakiness (tremor) -- up to 3 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 2 percent
- Agitation -- up to 2 percent
- Nausea -- up to 2 percent.
Less common maprotiline side effects included:
- Memory loss
- Numbness or tingling
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Sensitivity to the sun
- Impotence (also known as erectile dysfunction or ED) or changes in sex drive (see Maprotiline Sexual Side Effects)
- Changes in blood sugar
- Weight loss or weight gain (see Maprotiline and Weight Gain)
- Increased sweating
- Hair loss.