Mental Health Home > Maprotiline Dosing
For most people who are starting maprotiline, dosing generally starts at 75 mg daily, taken as a single dose or several smaller doses throughout the day. Depending on how you respond to the medication, your healthcare provider may increase your daily dose up to 225 mg a day. For elderly people who are beginning depression treatment, the recommended maprotiline dosage is 50 mg to 75 mg per day.
The dose of maprotiline hydrochloride (Ludiomil®) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting maprotiline dose for depression is 75 mg daily, either taken all at once each day (usually at bedtime) or split up into smaller doses throughout the day. After two weeks, your healthcare provider may slowly increase your dose (if necessary) if you tolerate maprotiline well. The maximum dose of maprotiline is 225 mg total per day.
For depression in the elderly, lower doses are recommended. The recommended dose for elderly people is maprotiline 50 mg to 75 mg total per day (taken all at once or split into smaller doses).
Some considerations for people taking maprotiline include:
- Maprotiline should be taken at the same time(s) each day.
- If you do not take your maprotiline as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if you usually take your dose at night, you may not want to make up the missed dose, due to the risk of drowsiness if maprotiline is taken during the day. Also, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of maprotiline.
- Your Maprotiline dosage can be taken with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- If you are experiencing bothersome drowsiness or dizziness with maprotiline, ask your healthcare provider about taking your maprotiline dose at bedtime (instead of during the day). This may help decrease drowsiness or dizziness.
- It often takes several weeks to see the full antidepressant effect of maprotiline. Try to give maprotiline a chance to work before becoming discouraged.
- For maprotiline to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you take it differently than your healthcare provider prescribes.
- If you are unsure about anything related to maprotiline or your maprotiline dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking maprotiline without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.