Mental Health Home > Maprotiline and Dry Mouth
There are a number of possible side effects with maprotiline, and dry mouth appears to be one of the most common (occurring in up to 22 percent of people). If you are taking maprotiline and dry mouth occurs, you can try sipping water or sugarless drinks often, chewing sugarless gum, or avoiding caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol.
Dry mouth is one of the common side effects of maprotiline hydrochloride (Ludiomil®), occurring in up to 22 percent of people. In fact, dry mouth is a common symptom of all tricyclic antidepressants.
For people taking maprotiline, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Don't use tobacco or alcohol. They dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
If you develop a dry mouth while taking maprotiline and the suggestions above do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. There is treatment that he or she may be able to recommend, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on how severe your maprotiline dry mouth side effects are, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your maprotiline dosage or try another depression medicine.