Mental Health Home > Lorazepam
When and How to Take LorazepamSome general considerations for when and how to take the medication include:
- Lorazepam comes in tablet, oral liquid, and injectable forms. When used orally, it is usually taken two or three times a day (or sometimes just before bedtime).
- The medication can be taken with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Lorazepam may cause serious problems if you take it at higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends.
Dosage InformationThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with lorazepam. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- A sleeping or calming effect (known medically as sedation)