Mental Health Home > Lisdexamfetamine
Clinical EffectsBased on clinical studies, children age 6 to 12 years old with ADHD who took lisdexamfetamine had significant improvement in their ADHD symptoms, compared to children with ADHD who did not take it. Even though lisdexamfetamine is taken just once a day in the morning, these improvements lasted throughout the day, from morning until at least early evening (about 6 p.m.). Similar results were seen when the drug was studied in adults and adolescents.
When and How to Take LisdexamfetamineSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with lisdexamfetamine include the following:
- This medication comes in capsule form. It should be taken by mouth once a day in the morning.
- You can take lisdexamfetamine with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- If children have difficulty swallowing the capsules, they can be opened and the contents dissolved in a glass of water. The child should immediately drink the entire glass of water.
- For lisdexamfetamine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. This medicine will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of lisdexamfetamine your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.