Mental Health Home > Side Effects of Iloperidone
Drowsiness, dizziness, and nausea are some of the most common side effects of iloperidone. A few less common side effects reported with this medicine include diarrhea, blurred vision, and joint pain. While side effects of this medication are usually minor, certain side effects (such as difficulty swallowing) are more serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider right away.
An Introduction to Iloperidone Side EffectsAs with any medicine, iloperidone (Fanapt®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with iloperidone. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of iloperidone side effects with you.)
Side Effects to ReportThere are a number of possible side effects with iloperidone that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting (which may be signs of low blood pressure or an arrhythmia)
- Heart palpitations
- Signs of diabetes, such as high blood sugar levels, increased thirst, frequent urination, and/or extreme hunger (see Fanapt and Diabetes)
- Large or rapid weight gain (see Fanapt and Weight Gain)
- "Extrapyramidal symptoms," such as:
- Feelings of internal restless or jitteriness
- Unusual, uncontrollable body movements
- Strong, uncontrollable muscle contractions
- Unexplained breast enlargement or breast discharge
- Frequent or persistent infections (which may be a sign of low white blood cells)
- Breast leakage
- Breast development in men
- Absent menstrual periods in women
- Heat stroke
- Difficulty swallowing
- A penile erection that lasts for more than a few hours (a condition known as priapism)
- Signs or symptoms of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, which can include:
- A high fever
- Stiff muscles
- Irregular pulse or blood pressure
- An increased heart rate (tachycardia)
- Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
It is especially important to let your healthcare provider know if you develop a rash that is accompanied by a fever, as this can be a sign of a dangerous reaction to iloperidone.