Mental Health Home > Does Ginseng Work?
Ginseng supplements are claimed to be beneficial for a number of conditions, but does ginseng work? Early studies show promising results for using ginseng to improve mental functioning, lower blood sugar, delay premature ejaculation, and improve sexual function in men with impotence. However, some of the other reported ginseng uses have very little or no scientific evidence in their favor.
- Improving mental functioning (such as improving arithmetic skills), although ginseng does not seem to improve memory when used alone
- Lowering blood sugar in people with diabetes
- Improving sexual function in men with impotence (also known as erectile dysfunction or ED)
- Delaying premature ejaculation (when combined with several other herbs and applied to the skin as a cream).
- Cancer (including general cancer prevention and breast cancer treatment)
- The common cold
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- The flu (influenza).