Mental Health Home > Elavil
Drug InteractionsElavil can potentially interact with a number of other medications (see Drug Interactions with Elavil for more information).
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Taking Elavil?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this drug if you have:
- Bipolar disorder or a family history of bipolar disorder
- A history of suicide attempts or suicidal thoughts
- Severe anxiety or agitation
- A recent history of heart attack
- Heart problems, including heart disease
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Bladder problems
- Difficulty passing urine
- An enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH)
- Liver problems
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Amitriptyline and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol regularly
- Will be undergoing surgery.