Mental Health Home > Desyrel Side Effects
Headache, dizziness, and dry mouth are some of the most common side effects of Desyrel. Side effects that are less common include anemia, gas, and muscle twitches. In most cases, these side effects are minor and easily treated. However, it is possible to develop problems that may require immediate medical attention, such as hallucinations, panic attacks, or suicidal behavior.
Side Effects of Desyrel: An OverviewAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Desyrel® (trazodone hydrochloride). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Desyrel. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Desyrel side effects with you.)
Some Desyrel side effects, while not as common, are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior (see Trazodone and Suicide)
- A painful erection of the penis that does not go away (priapism)
- Anxiety, agitation, or panic attacks
- Hostility or aggressiveness
- Engaging in unusual or dangerous activities
- Restlessness or inability to sit still
- Extreme elation or feeling of happiness that may switch back and forth with a depressed or sad mood
- Other unusual changes in behavior
- Rapid heart rate
- Chest palpitations
- Difficulty sleeping
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- Unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.