Mental Health Home > Campral Overdose
Although it is possible to take too much Campral (acamprosate), overdose symptoms should not be dangerous. Although taking too much of the drug could cause dangerously high levels of calcium in the blood, this is probably only possible in cases of a long-term, chronic overdose. Treatment options for a Campral overdose may include pumping the stomach, inducing vomiting, and providing supportive care.
Campral Overdose: An IntroductionCampral® (acamprosate calcium) is a prescription medication used to treat alcohol dependence. As with any medication, it may be possible to take too much Campral, although an overdose does not appear to be particularly dangerous. The specific effects of a Campral overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Campral dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of a Campral OverdoseIn reported cases of a Campral overdose, no serious effects were reported. The only reported effect is diarrhea, which is one of the usual Campral side effects. Theoretically, taking too much Campral could cause dangerously high levels of calcium in the blood (known medically as hypercalcemia), due to the calcium component in Campral. However, this should be a problem only in cases of a long-term, chronic overdose.
Treatment for a Campral OverdoseThe treatment for a Campral overdose will also vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may "pump the stomach" or administer certain medications to induce vomiting. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Campral overdose may include:
- Careful monitoring of the vital signs (such as heart rate and breathing)
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Campral.