Mental Health Home > Side Effects of Bupropion XL
Headaches, a dry mouth, and weight loss are among the side effects that may develop while taking bupropion XL. Side effects are, in most cases, minor and easily treated. However, tell your healthcare provider immediately if you experience hallucinations, seizures, or suicidal thoughts or behavior. Rare side effects of bupropion XL include hair loss, high blood sugar, and impotence.
An Introduction to Side Effects of Bupropion XLAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with bupropion XL (Wellbutrin XL®, Forfivo™ XL). However, not everyone who takes it will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with bupropion XL. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of bupropion XL side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Bupropion XLBupropion XL has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of bupropion XL include:
- Headaches -- in up to 34 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- up to 26 percent (see Wellbutrin XL and Dry Mouth)
- Weight loss -- up to 23 percent (see Wellbutrin XL and Weight Loss)
- Insomnia -- up to 20 percent (see Wellbutrin XL and Insomnia)
- Nausea -- up to 13 percent
- Sore throat or runny nose -- up to 13 percent
- Constipation -- up to 9 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections (similar to the common cold) -- up to 9 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 7 percent
- Gas -- up to 6 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 6 percent.
Other common side effects of bupropion XL (occurring in 1 to 5 percent of people) include:
- A sinus infection
- Loss of appetite
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Abnormal dreams
- Muscle pain
- Feeling jittery
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Painful menstrual cramps
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus).