Mental Health Home > Side Effects of Buproban
Some common side effects of Buproban include constipation, dizziness, insomnia, and a dry mouth. Uncommon Buproban side effects can include acne, anemia, and leg cramps. Buproban side effects are usually minor and easily treated. However, there are some serious Buproban side effects that can occur, such as a rapid heart rate, seizures, and suicidal behavior. If you experience any of these Buproban side effects, let your healthcare provider know.
Side Effects of Buproban: An OverviewAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Buproban® (bupropion SR). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate Buproban quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Buproban. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Buproban side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of BuprobanBuproban has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, side effects reported by a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects reported by another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common side effects of Buproban include:
- Insomnia -- in up to 40 percent of people (see Zyban and Insomnia)
- An irritated or runny nose -- up to 12 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 11 percent (see Zyban and Dry Mouth)
- Dizziness -- up to 10 percent
- Nausea -- up to 9 percent
- Trouble concentrating -- up to 9 percent
- Constipation -- up to 8 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 5 percent
- Unusual dreams -- up to 5 percent
- Muscle pain -- up to 4 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 4 percent
- Nervousness -- up to 4 percent.
Some other common side effects of Buproban (occurring in 1 percent to 3 percent of people) include:
- A loss of appetite
- Changes in taste
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
- A sore throat
- Neck pain
- Increased appetite
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Dry skin
- Canker sores
- Sinus infections or irritation
- Bloody nose
- Hot flashes
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Changes in thought patterns
- Ringing of the ears (tinnitus).