Mental Health Home > Bergamot Oil Safety
If you are considering taking bergamot oil, safety warnings and precautions should be fully understood. For instance, bergamot oil is generally not recommended for application on the skin, as it can be very irritating. This oil can also increase your risk of sunburn or other severe skin reactions. To avoid any complications, it is a good idea to discuss potential bergamot oil safety concerns with your healthcare provider.
Is Bergamot Oil Safe?Bergamot oil is an essential oil used for aromatherapy and various other uses. Check with your healthcare provider before using bergamot oil if you:
- Have any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
You should also be sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Bergamot Oil Warnings and PrecautionsSome of the warnings and precautions to be aware of concerning the safety of bergamot oil include the following:
- Bergamot oil can be very irritating to the skin. In general, it is not recommended to apply bergamot oil to the skin.
- Bergamot oil can cause sun sensitivity, increasing your risk of sunburn or other severe skin reactions.
- It is not known if bergamot oil interacts with any other supplements or medications (see Bergamot Oil Drug Interactions).
- It is not known if bergamot oil is safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women (see Bergamot Oil and Pregnancy and Bergamot Oil and Breastfeeding).