Mental Health Home > Aripiprazole ER Injection Side Effects
Most of the side effect data for aripiprazole ER injection comes from clinical trials of the oral formulation (regular Abilify®) because it is expected that the two drugs will have similar side effects.
Oral Abilify has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to those that occurred in a similar group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredient). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common side effects included:
- Headaches -- in up to 27 percent of people
- Agitation -- up to 19 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 18 percent (see Abilify and Insomnia)
- Anxiety -- up to 17 percent
- Nausea -- up to 15 percent
- Restlessness -- up to 12 percent
- Constipation -- up to 11 percent
- Vomiting – up to 11 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 2 percent to 10 percent of people, included:
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Weight gain (see Abilify and Weight Gain)
- Dry mouth (see Abilify and Dry Mouth)
- Joint pain
- Throat pain
- Blurred vision
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- General pain
- Nasal congestion
- Increased salivation
- Swelling or water retention in the arms, legs, or feet.