Mental Health Home > Side Effects of Amphetamine-Dextroamphetamine Extended Release
As with any medication, there are potential side effects of amphetamine-dextroamphetamine extended release, including weight loss, emotional changes, and loss of appetite. When side effects do occur, they are generally minor and easily treated. If you experience more serious side effects while taking this drug (such as hallucinations, seizures, or suicidal thoughts), be sure to alert your healthcare provider immediately.
Amphetamine-Dextroamphetamine Extended Release Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects of amphetamine-dextroamphetamine extended release (Adderall XR®). However, not everyone who takes this drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
Common Amphetamine-Dextroamphetamine Extended Release Side EffectsAmphetamine-dextroamphetamine extended release has been thoroughly studied in clinical trials, with many people having been evaluated. In these studies, the side effects occurring in a group of people taking the drug are always documented and compared to the side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. Based on these studies, the most common amphetamine-dextroamphetamine extended release side effects include:
- Loss of appetite (anorexia) -- occurring in up to 36 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- in up to 35 percent
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia) -- in up to 27 percent
- Headaches -- in up to 26 percent
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain) -- in up to 14 percent
- Temporary increase in blood pressure -- in up to 11 percent
- Weight loss -- in up to 11 percent (see Adderall and Weight Loss)
- Emotional changes -- in up to 9 percent
- Nausea, upset stomach, or vomiting -- in up to 8 percent
- Dizziness -- in up to 7 percent
- Diarrhea -- in up to 6 percent
- Feeling of weakness (asthenia) -- in up to 6 percent
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia) -- in up to 6 percent
- Infection, including urinary tract infection (UTI) -- in up to 5 percent
- Fever -- in up to 5 percent
- Heartburn -- in up to 2 percent.