An Introduction to Loxapine Dosing
The dose of loxapine
) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking
- The severity of your schizophrenia.
As always, do not adjust your loxapine dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Loxapine Dosing for Schizophrenia
The recommended starting dose of loxapine for schizophrenia is loxapine 10 mg twice daily (or up to loxapine 25 mg twice daily for severe schizophrenia). Your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to loxapine 250 mg per day if necessary. Your healthcare provider may also lower your dose if you experience bothersome side effects.
General Information on Dosing With Loxapine
Considerations for people taking loxapine include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth two to four times a day.
- You can take loxapine with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Loxapine should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or loxapine dosing in general, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Loxitane Withdrawal).