Can You Take Too Much L-Methylfolate?
There is little information available about an overdose with L-methylfolate
, so it is unknown exactly what to expect from taking too much of this substance. L-methylfolate is the active form of folic acid
, a water-soluble vitamin (vitamin B9
). In most cases, an L-methylfolate overdose is not expected to cause serious problems.
Effects of an Overdose
As mentioned, little is known about the possible effects of an overdose with L-methylfolate. It is also not clear how much L-methylfolate would result in an overdose. Based on the possible effects of an overdose on folic acid, taking too much L-methylfolate might cause:
- Loss of appetite
- Gastrointestinal (GI) problems, such as bloating, nausea, and gas
- A bitter or bad taste in the mouth
- Sleep problems, including unusual dreams
- Difficulty concentrating
- Overactivity or excitability
- Impaired judgment
- Seizures (in people who have a seizure disorder).
Treating an L-Methylfolate Overdose
Treatment for an L-methylfolate overdose will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, medicines may be used to treat seizures
if they occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much L-methylfolate.