When and How to Take HaloperidolThe following are some general considerations for when and how to take this medication:
- Haloperidol comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth two or three times a day.
- You can take it with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- A liquid form of haloperidol is available for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- The drug is also available in injectable forms, including a short-acting form (given several times per day) and a long-acting form (given just once a month).
- Haloperidol should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age and weight
- The severity of your condition
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Haloperidol Dosing for more information.)
(Click Drug Interactions With Haloperidol for more information.)