When beginning treatment with Desyrel, the dosage typically starts at 150 mg a day. Depending on your response to the medication, your healthcare provider may increase or decrease this dose. Although the recommended maximum daily dose is 400 mg, people who are being treated for depression in the hospital can take up to 600 mg per day. Take your Desyrel dosage at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your system.
Desyrel Dosage: An Introduction
The dose of Desyrel® (trazodone hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Desyrel dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Desyrel Dosage for Depression
The recommended starting Desyrel dose when treating depression is 150 mg per day (divided into two or three doses per day). Your healthcare provider may choose to increase the dosage if symptoms continue, or decrease the dose if side effects occur. The maximum recommended dose of Desyrel is 400 mg total per day, although people who have been hospitalized due to their depression may take up to 600 mg per day.
Desyrel Dosage for Insomnia
Even though Desyrel is not approved to treat insomnia, it is frequently prescribed in an off-label fashion for this use. Usually, the dose of Desyrel for insomnia is lower, starting with Desyrel 25 mg or 50 mg at bedtime.
General Desyrel Dosage Information
Considerations for people taking Desyrel include the following:
- It usually takes a week or two (or perhaps even more than a month) before feeling the beneficial effects of Desyrel. Try not to be discouraged if the medication does not work right away for you.
- It is best to take Desyrel after a meal or snack. Your system generally absorbs the medicine better after eating.
- Desyrel should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Desyrel will not work if you take it differently from your healthcare provider recommends.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Desyrel or your Desyrel dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the medication without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.