General considerations for when and how to take desvenlafaxine include the following:
- The medication comes in the form of an extended-release tablet and is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take desvenlafaxine with or without food.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole. Do not crush, break, or chew them.
- Desvenlafaxine should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For desvenlafaxine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking it without your healthcare provider's approval.
The dose of desvenlafaxine your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to desvenlafaxine
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Desvenlafaxine Dosage for more information.)
Desvenlafaxine can potentially interact with a number of other medicines (see Drug Interactions With Desvenlafaxine).