Clozaril Side Effects
Common side effects of Clozaril include increased salivation, drowsiness, and weight gain. Side effects that are less common (occurring in less than 1 percent of people) can include memory loss, hot flashes, and an increased appetite. Side effects of this drug are typically minor and easily treated, but some problems may require immediate medical attention, such as seizures, depression, and a rapid heart rate.
An Introduction to Clozaril Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Clozaril® (clozapine). However, not everyone who takes it will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Clozaril. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of ClozarilClozaril has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and then compared to the side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Clozaril side effects included:
- Increased salivation -- in up to 48 percent of people
- Drowsiness -- up to 46 percent
- Weight gain -- up to 31 percent (see Clozapine and Weight Gain)
- Dizziness or vertigo (a spinning sensation) -- up to 27 percent
- Constipation -- up to 25 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 20 percent (see Clozapine and Insomnia)
- Nausea -- up to 17 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 17 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 14 percent.
Some other common Clozaril side effects (occurring in 1 to 7 percent of people) included:
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Increased sweating
- Dry mouth (see Clozapine and Dry Mouth)
- Fatigue or weakness
- Slurred speech
- Loss of appetite
- Problems with bladder control
- Sexual problems (see Clozapine Sexual Side Effects)
- Vision changes
- Muscle weakness, spasms, or pain
- A sore throat
- Nasal congestion
- A sore or numb tongue.