Clozaril Side Effects
Serious Side EffectsSome side effects with Clozaril, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of diabetes, such as:
- High blood sugar
- Increased thirst
- Frequent urination
- Extreme hunger (see Clozapine and Diabetes)
- Large or rapid weight gain
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Dizziness or fainting when going from a sitting or lying-down position to standing
- Feelings of internal restlessness or jitteriness
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Clozaril can cause a dangerous side effect called agranulocytosis (dangerously low levels of white blood cells). In order to take the drug, you will be required to have regular blood tests to check for this side effect.
Rare Clozaril Side EffectsRare side effects occur in less than 1 percent of people taking this drug. Because these side effects are so uncommon, it is difficult to tell whether they are caused by Clozaril or something else.
These rare side effects include but are not limited to:
- Memory loss
- Water retention
- Stomach ulcers
- Vaginal itching
- Hot flashes
- A dry throat
- Joint pain
- A runny nose
- An increased appetite
- Bloodshot eyes.