Clozapine Oral Suspension
Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with clozapine oral suspension include the following:
- This medicine comes in the form of a suspension (a liquid). It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- You can take your doses with or without food. Take clozapine oral suspension with food if it seems to bother your stomach.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your blood.
- You will need to shake the bottle for 10 seconds before measuring out your dose to ensure the medication is evenly mixed.
- Clozapine oral suspension comes with a special syringe that you must use to measure your dose. Do not use household measuring spoons, teaspoons, or other measuring devices, as they may not be accurate.
- Your medication comes with specific instructions describing how to measure and take your doses. Make sure you read these instructions and understand them thoroughly before using this product.
- You will need blood tests before you start taking this medication, and periodically during treatment, to make sure clozapine oral suspension is safe for you to take.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Your symptoms may return if you stop using this medication or miss a dose. If you stop taking it for two or more days, you will need to be restarted on a lower dose. This amount can be increased slowly to your previous dosage.
The dose of clozapine oral suspension your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Clozapine Oral Suspension Dosage for more information.)