Bupropion Side Effects
Weight loss, nausea, and headaches are a few common side effects of bupropion. Some uncommon side effects (occurring in less than 1 percent of people) include hair loss, bladder infections, and acne. Among the bupropion side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider are suicidal thoughts or behavior, seizures, and any signs of an allergic reaction.
An Introduction to Bupropion Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with bupropion hydrochloride (Wellbutrin®). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If bupropion side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with bupropion. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of bupropion side effects with you. The information in this article refers specifically to short-acting, immediate-release bupropion, not the longer-acting forms, including Aplenzin™, Budeprion XL®, Budeprion™ SR, Buproban®, Forfivo™ XL, Wellbutrin SR®, Wellbutrin XL®, and Zyban®.)
Common Side Effects of BupropionBupropion has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of bupropion included:
- Agitation -- in up to 31.9 percent of people
- Weight loss -- up to 28 percent of people (see Bupropion and Weight Loss)
- Dry mouth -- up to 27.6 percent of people (see Wellbutrin and Dry Mouth)
- Constipation -- up to 26 percent of people
- Headaches -- up to 25.7 percent of people
- Nausea or vomiting -- up to 22.9 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 22.3 percent of people
- Increased sweating -- up to 22.3 percent of people
- Shakiness (tremors) -- up to 21.1 percent of people
- Insomnia -- up to 18.6 percent of people (see Wellbutrin and Insomnia)
- Appetite loss -- up to 18.3 percent of people
- Blurred vision -- up to 14.6 percent of people
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia) -- up to 10.8 percent of people
- Confusion -- up to 8.4 percent of people
- Hostility -- up to 5.6 percent of people
- Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias) -- up to 5.3 percent of people
- Hearing changes -- up to 5.3 percent of people.
Some other common bupropion side effects (occurring in 1 percent to 5 percent of people) include:
- Menstrual problems
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (palpitations)
- Increased appetite
- A decreased sex drive (libido)
- Impotence (erectile dysfunction or ED) (see Wellbutrin Sexual Side Effects)
- Taste changes
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)