Precautions and Warnings With Bupropion XL
Precautions and warnings with bupropion XL include the risk of liver damage, an increased chance of suicidal behavior, and the danger of taking the medication when pregnant. Before taking it, tell your healthcare provider if you have epilepsy, liver problems, or any allergies. Precautions and warnings with bupropion XL also extend to people who are allergic to any ingredient used to make the drug or who have a seizure disorder.
Bupropion XL: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk to your healthcare provider prior to taking bupropion XL (Wellbutrin XL®, Forfivo™ XL) if you have:
- Seizures or epilepsy (see Wellbutrin Seizures)
- A brain tumor
- A history of head trauma or brain injury
- An eating disorder, such as bulimia or anorexia
- Bipolar disorder or a family history of bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression)
- Heart disease
- A recent history of heart attack
- A history of suicide attempts or suicidal thoughts
- Liver problems, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol regularly.
Be sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.