Effects of Bupropion XLClinical studies show that bupropion XL is effective for treating depression and for preventing seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
In studies, bupropion (the active ingredient in bupropion XL) was shown to be effective for treating depression in adults. In long-term studies, it was also shown to prevent a relapse of depression. Although these studies used shorter-acting versions of bupropion (not bupropion XL), it is assumed that bupropion XL is equally effective for treating depression and preventing relapse.
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Three studies looked at using bupropion XL for seasonal affective disorder. In these studies, people began taking bupropion XL in autumn, before their depression symptoms started, and the medication was stopped in early spring. These studies showed that up to 84.3 percent of people taking the drug were depression-free at the end of their treatment, compared to 72 percent of those not taking bupropion XL.
When and How to Take ItGeneral considerations to keep in mind when taking bupropion XL include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day in the morning.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole. They should not be cut, crushed, broken, or chewed.
- You can take bupropion XL with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Bupropion XL should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Bupropion XL will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing Information for Bupropion XLThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your bupropion XL dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Bupropion XL Dosing for more information.)