Effects of Bupropion HydrobromideIn studies, bupropion (the active ingredient in bupropion hydrobromide) was shown to be effective for treating depression in adults. In long-term studies, bupropion was also shown to prevent depression relapse. Although these studies used shorter-acting versions of bupropion (not bupropion hydrobromide), it is assumed that bupropion hydrobromide is equally effective for treating depression and preventing relapse.
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once daily in the morning.
- It does not matter if you take this medication with food or on an empty stomach.
- Do not cut, crush, chew, or dissolve the extended-release tablets, as this will cause the medication to be released too quickly. You must swallow them whole.
- It is not a good idea to take this medication later in the day (instead of the morning), as this may increase the risk of insomnia.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
How Should the Medication Be Stored?Bupropion hydrobromide should be stored at room temperature, away from moisture and heat. Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children.
Is There a Generic Version?This medication is not available in generic form (see Generic Aplenzin).
Who Makes This Medication?Bupropion hydrobromide is made by Biovail Corporation for sanofi-aventis U.S., LLC.