Alternatives to BuprobanBuproban is generally effective at helping people to quit smoking. It is also generally well-tolerated. However, it is possible that side effects of Buproban will occur or that the medicine may not work as well as needed. In these cases, your healthcare provider may recommend an alternative to Buproban. Examples of substitute medications include:
- Nicotine products, including patches, inhalers, gum, or lozenges
- Varenicline (Chantix®), a new non-nicotine medication for smoking cessation.
Many people take Wellbutrin SR instead of Buproban. This medication is similar to Buproban, but is more likely to be covered by insurance (see Wellbutrin to Quit Smoking).
Various forms of counseling are also used to help people stop smoking. In fact, all of the studies of Buproban also included smoking cessation counseling.
(Click Zyban Alternatives for more information.)
What If I Take an Overdose of Buproban?People who take too much Buproban may have overdose symptoms that could include:
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- A fever
- Muscle tension, pain, and damage
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Breathing problems
- Loss of life.
If you happen to overdose on Buproban, seek immediate medical attention.
(Click Zyban Overdose for more information.)