Is Bergamot Oil Safe?
is an essential oil used for aromatherapy and various other uses. Check with your healthcare provider before using bergamot oil if you:
- Have any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
You should also be sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Bergamot Oil Warnings and Precautions
Some of the warnings and precautions to be aware of concerning the safety of bergamot oil include the following:
- Bergamot oil can be very irritating to the skin. In general, it is not recommended to apply bergamot oil to the skin.
- Bergamot oil can cause sun sensitivity, increasing your risk of sunburn or other severe skin reactions.
- It is not known if bergamot oil interacts with any other supplements or medications (see Bergamot Oil Drug Interactions).
- It is not known if bergamot oil is safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women (see Bergamot Oil and Pregnancy and Bergamot Oil and Breastfeeding).