There are a number of dangerous effects that may occur if you take too much amoxapine. Overdose effects may include seizures, kidney failure, or even loss of life. Treatment for an amoxapine overdose may include "pumping the stomach," administering certain medications, or providing supportive care.
Amoxapine (Asendin®) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat depression. It is part of a group of medications called tricyclic antidepressants. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much amoxapine. In fact, overdosing on tricyclic antidepressants can be very dangerous. Amoxapine overdose effects will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much amoxapine was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on amoxapine, seek medical attention immediately.
The effects of an amoxapine overdose may include:
- Overly acidic blood (acidosis)
- Kidney failure (renal failure)
- Muscle pain
- Loss of life.
The treatment for an amoxapine overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an amoxapine overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medicines to increase blood pressure, control an irregular heart rhythm or control seizures
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs
- A breathing tube to help with breathing
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on amoxapine.